Saturday 5 June 2010

Genius of Britain

Has anyone else managed to catch the Channel 4 series Genius of Britain this week? You can catch on their YouTube channel here would have embedded them here but for some reason it's not allowed???

Anyway the series was amazing and has made me realise just how much I would have liked to be that clever. In school I was never that interested in science but I have always been interested in how things work and why things are the way they are. To this end OI wonder wether it may have been just the teaching not being amazingly inspiring. Now though I am going to make a concious effort to try and broaden my knowledge within science and in particular the field of Hamilton's Rulewhich in the basic sense looks at how organisms work together to increase future good. This altruism I think is hugely interesting for me on a personal level and through the work I have been getting involved in over the last year or so.

I think I am going to try and look at this in a number of avenues (maybe to aspirational but hey);

- firstly I want to look at how social media creates communities but maybe also leads to less 'physical' responsibility to the real world's resources. This thinking has been sparked by a recent article I have read by John Thackara and other pieces within the TED talks archive.

- secondly I want to look at how through rules such as Hamilton's we might be able utilise them in the development of new workshops for the involvement of communities within the evolution of social design tools.

- i think finally (and this a really long project that probably dates back to 2002) I want to reinvestigate gameplay with storytelling to utilise in design terms within projects. I am aware of a number of sites that include 'knowledge games' and workshops but I think there is something extra that could be used.

On another note I have finally managed to get around to doing some work on the creative networks project for ARK LAB it's hard fitting it all in with work at Hoffi and also the empty shop project which is taking a lot of time up at the minute. But if there is anyone out there that would like to help out and take this on further please let me know. You can see the full article here.

creative network

No comments: