Friday 27 February 2009

MUJI and BRAUN still making a splash

I came across this interview with Dieter Rams on the V&A collections website the other day and I have been meaning to post it for ages. Having recently been looking into MUJI and it's styling and history for a project I am currently working on, it is striking how similar the work of Dieter for Braun in the 50's and 60's is to Sam Hecht and Naoto Fukasawa's design has been for MUJI in recent times. Obviously they are based on very similar brand languages indeed I found Dieter's 10 commandments on the vitsoe website. For those who cant be bothered going on the site I wrote them here:

1. Good design is innovative
2. Good design makes a product useful
3. Good design is aesthetic
4. Good design helps a product to be understood
5. Good design is unobtrusive
6. Good design is honest
7. Good design is durable
8. Good design is through to the last detail
9. Good design is concerned with the environment
10. Good design is as little design as possible

I am going to post some images in the next few days to hopefully show the similarity in the next few days.

No comments: